Melba Sauce

Yup! Nicole is right. I like to finish my meals with fruit. However, I allow myself to indulge in something sweet once in a while and her rich, creamy and delicious cheesecake is my exception to the rule. Just to keep the fruit in the equation, I like to complement her cheesecake with some Melba Sauce.

Now, I know I’m going straight to the guillottine with this recipe 😉 but what’s life without taking a little risk? The Melba sauce is indeed a French masterpiece. It was created by the famous French chef August Escoffier to honor the Australian soprano Nellie Melba at the end of the 19th century. I can totally see the frowning foreheads of our French readers (led by my French teacher) asking themselves: has she lost her mind?

Well, I tell you what: of course I do not have Escoffier’s recipe nor has any French ever taught me how to make this gorgeous sauce, but I’m a huge believer in constructive criticism. Therefore, I invite you all (regardless of your citizenship) to comment, correct and/or complete my recipe as you see fit!

After all, what are bloggers for? 😉

Ingredients:

1 cup fresh raspberries
1 Tbsp confectioners’ sugar
1/8 Tsp lemon juice

Rinse the raspberries with water, put them in a strainer over a bowl and let them drain fully.

Transfer the raspberries, the sugar and the lemon juice in a blender or a food processor and blend until you obtain a creamy mixture.

Place a small strainer over a soup bowl. Pour some of the raspberry mixture in the strainer and, with the back of a spoon, push the mixture through the strainer so that the seeds remain in the strainer. Repeat the same procedure with the rest of the raspberry mixture.

Pour the sauce in a little pitcher and serve it.

Et voilà, simple et délicieuse! Vive la France! 🙂

This entry was posted in Recipes and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Melba Sauce

What a lovely, simple recipe! And photo too!!

2. kiarastyle says:

Looks delicious. I will try making it next week when we host our Annual Christmas party as an addition to my cheese-cake!

Thank you so much! Just make sure to make enough sauce for your cake. The quantities in the recipe serve two (maybe three) slices.

PS: What do you want me to call you: Chiara or Kiara? 🙂

• kiarastyle says:

You can call me Chiara. Kiara is to help my friends that do not speak Italian pronounce my name 🙂 I will let you know how the Melba sauce turns out! I am not the best baker !

3. NZLOGOUT says:

Feel free to hold the strainer directly over my mouth.

4. GreedyFrog says:

No frowning forehead here! This sounds delicious 🙂

5. Correct it?Sounds good to me!

6. It sounds so tasty! And the photos are very pretty, I was hoping you’d have some Christmas-y ones up when I popped over, you did such a fantastic job on the Halloween ones!! 😀

Thank you so much for you flattering words! You can check my Thanksgiving table out if you want. The next posts will have a “Christmas flavor” and I’ll publish my Christmas table on Christmas Eve. Stay tuned! 🙂

7. milkandbun says:

Raspberries are good in any way!!!

8. Even I, who know it all, could not improve on this recipe. Bravo!

9. What a beautiful photo shoot! Melba sauce is perfect for the holiday season and it sounds so simple to make. Take care, BAM

10. Allison says: