Piemonte – DOCG Appellations & Main Rules

PIEMONTE’s DOCGs
(Click on any grape variety to see its record on our Grape Variety Archive)

Wine Map of Piemonte (Astigiano) – Courtesy of Federdoc (click on map to go to website)

Wine Map of Piemonte (Astigiano) – Courtesy of Federdoc (click on map to go to website)

Wine Map of Piemonte (Langhe) – Courtesy of Federdoc (click on map to go to website)

Wine Map of Piemonte (Langhe) – Courtesy of Federdoc (click on map to go to website)

1. Alta Langa DOCG

Approved as a DOC in 2002
Upgraded to DOCG in 2011

Permitted Type of Wine: Reserved to sparkling wines made according to the Classic (or Champenoise) Method

Territory: areas adjancent to the towns of Cuneo, Asti and Alessandria

Subzones: N/A

Permitted Varieties: 90% to 100% of Pinot Noir and/or Chardonnay

Minimum Aging: 30 months for the base wine; 36 months for the “Riserva” wine

2. Asti DOCG

Approved as a DOCG in 1993

Permitted Type of Wine: Reserved to (i) sweet sparkling wines under the label “Asti Spumante DOCG” made according to either the Martinotti (or Charmat) Method or the Classic (or Champenoise) Method and (ii) sweet still wines under the label “Moscato d’Asti DOCG”

Territory: areas adjacent to the towns of Asti, Alessandria, Cuneo

Subzones: “Canelli” ,“Santa Vittoria d’Alba”, “Strevi”

Permitted Varieties: 100% Moscato Bianco

Minimum Aging: 1 month for Asti Spumante made according to the Martinotti (or Charmat) Method or 9 months for Asti Spumante made according to the Classic (or Champenoise) Method or 12 months for the Moscato d’Asti late harvest (“vendemmia tardiva”) variety

3. Barbaresco DOCG

Approved as a DOC in 1966
Upgraded to DOCG in 1980

Permitted Type of Wine: Red wines only

Territory: Areas adjacent to the towns of Barbaresco, Neive, Treiso and the village of San Rocco Senodelvio in the Cuneo district

Subzones: N/A

Permitted Varieties: 100% Nebbiolo

Minimum Aging: 26 months (at least 9 of which in wooden barrels) for the base wine; 50 months (at least 9 of which in wooden barrels) for the “Riserva” wine

4. Barbera d’Asti DOCG

Approved as a DOC in 1966
Upgraded to DOCG in 2008

Permitted Type of Wine: Red wines only

Territory: Areas adjacent to a number of towns in the Asti district and in the Alessandria district

Subzones: “Nizza”, “Tinella”, “Colli Astiani” or “Astiano”

Permitted Varieties: 90% or more Barbera

Minimum Aging: 4 months for the base wine and 14 months (at least 6 of which in wooden barrels) for the “Superiore” wine

5. Barbera del Monferrato Superiore DOCG

Approved as a DOC in 1970
Upgraded to DOCG in 2008

Permitted Type of Wine: Red wines only

Territory: Areas adjacent to a number of towns in the Asti district and in the Alessandria district

Subzones: N/A

Permitted Varieties: 85% or more Barbera, with the remaining 15% or less coming from Freisa, Grignolino and/or Dolcetto only

Minimum Aging: 14 months (at least 6 of which in wooden barrels)

Wine Map of Piemonte (Monferrato) – Courtesy of Federdoc (click on map to go to website)

Wine Map of Piemonte (Monferrato) – Courtesy of Federdoc (click on map to go to website)

Wine Map of Northern Piemonte – Courtesy of Federdoc (click on map to go to website)

Wine Map of Northern Piemonte – Courtesy of Federdoc (click on map to go to website)

6. Barolo DOCG

Approved as a DOC in 1966
Upgraded to DOCG in 1980

Permitted Type of Wine: Red wines only

Territory: Areas adjacent to the towns of Barolo, Castiglione Falletto, Serralunga d’Alba, Monforte d’Alba, Novello, La Morra, Verduno, Grinzane Cavour, Diano d’Alba, Cherasco and Roddi in the Cuneo district

Subzones: N/A

Permitted Varieties: 100% Nebbiolo

Minimum Aging: 38 months (at least 18 of which in wooden barrels) for the base wine; 62 months (at least 18 of which in wooden barrels) for the “Riserva” wine

7. Brachetto d’Acqui DOCG

Approved as a DOC in 1969
Upgraded to DOCG in 1996

Permitted Type of Wine: Sweet red wines only, still or sparkling

Territory: Areas adjacent to the towns of Asti and Alessandria

Subzones: N/A

Permitted Varieties: 97% or more Brachetto

Minimum Aging: Until October 1 of the year following that of the harvest

8. Dogliani DOCG

Approved as a DOC in 1974
Upgraded to DOCG in 2005

Permitted Type of Wine: Red wines only

Territory: Areas adjacent to the towns of Bastia Mondovì, Belvedere Langhe, Briaglia, Castellino Tanaro, Ciglie’, Clavesana, Dogliani, Farigliano, Igliano, Marsaglia, Monchiero, Niella Tanaro, Piozzo, Rocca Ciglie’, Carrù, Mondovì, Murazzano, Roddino, S. Michele Mondovì, Somano and Vicoforte

Subzones: N/A

Permitted Varieties: 100% Dolcetto

Minimum Aging: 12 months

9. Dolcetto di Diano d’Alba DOCG

Approved as a DOC in 1974
Upgraded to DOCG in 2010

Permitted Type of Wine: Red wines only

Territory: Areas adjacent to the town of Diano d’Alba in the Cuneo district

Subzones: N/A

Permitted Varieties: 100% Dolcetto

Minimum Aging: Until January 1 of the year following that of the harvest for the base wine; 10 months for the “Superiore” wine

10. Dolcetto di Ovada Superiore DOCG

Approved as a DOC in 1972
Upgraded to DOCG in 2008

Permitted Type of Wine: Red wines only

Territory: Areas adjacent to the towns of Ovada, Belforte Monferrato, Bosio, Capriata d’Orba, Carpeneto, Casaleggio Boiro, Cassinelle, Castelletto d’Orba, Cremolino, Lerma, Molare, Montaldeo, Montaldo Bormida, Mornese, Morsasco, Parodi Ligure, Prasco, Rocca Grimalda, San Cristoforo, Silvano d’Orba, Tagliolo Monferrato, Trisobbio

Subzones: N/A

Permitted Varieties: 100% Dolcetto

Minimum Aging: 12 months for the base wine; 20 months for single vineyard wine; 24 months for the “Riserva” wine

11. Erbaluce di Caluso DOCG

Approved as a DOC in 1967
Upgraded to DOCG in 2010

Permitted Type of Wine: White wines only, still or sparkling (made only according to the Classic, or Champenoise, Method)

Territory: Areas adjacent to several towns in the Turin, Vercelli and Biella districts

Subzones: N/A

Permitted Varieties: 100% Erbaluce

Minimum Aging: No restriction for the base wine; 15 months for the Classic Method sparkling wine version; 36 months for the sweet, dried grape (“Passito”) version; 24 months for the “Riserva” wine; 48 months for the sweet, dried grape (“Passito”) “Riserva” version

12. Gattinara DOCG

Approved as a DOC in 1967
Upgraded to DOCG in 1990

Permitted Type of Wine: Red wines only

Territory: Areas adjacent to the town of Gattinara

Subzones: N/A

Permitted Varieties: 90% or more Nebbiolo, with the remaining 10% being either all Uva Rara or a blend of Uva Rara and not more than 4% of Vespolina

Minimum Aging: 35 months (at least 24 of which in wooden barrels) for the base wine; 47 months (at least 36 of which in wooden barrels) for the “Riserva” wine

13. Gavi (or Cortese di Gavi) DOCG

Approved as a DOC in 1974
Upgraded to DOCG in 1998

Permitted Type of Wine: White wines only, still or sparkling

Territory: Areas adjacent to the towns of Gavi, Arquata Scrivia, Carrosio, Bosio, Parodi e S. Cristoforo, Castelletto d’Orba.

Subzones: N/A

Permitted Varieties: 100% Cortese

Minimum Aging: No restriction for the base wine; 12 months for the “Riserva” wine; 24 months (at least 18 of which on its lees) for the sparkling wine

14. Ghemme DOCG

Approved as a DOC in 1969
Upgraded to DOCG in 1997

Permitted Type of Wine: Red wines only

Territory: Areas adjacent to the towns of Ghemme and Romagnano Sesia, both in the Novara district

Subzones: N/A

Permitted Varieties: 85% or more Nebbiolo, with the remaining 15% being Vespolina and/or Uva Rara

Minimum Aging: 34 months (at least 18 of which in wooden barrels) plus 6 additional months in bottle for the base wine; 46 months (at least 24 of which in wooden barrels) plus 6 additional months in bottle for the “Riserva” wine

15. Roero DOCG

Approved as a DOC in 1985
Upgraded to DOCG in 2004

Permitted Type of Wine: Red wines or white wines (both still and sparkling)

Territory: Areas adjacent to the towns of Canale, Corneliano d’Alba, Piobesi d’Alba, Vezza d’Alba, Baldissero d’Alba, Castagnito, Castellinaldo, Govone, Guarene, Magliano Alfieri, Monta’, Montaldo Roero, Monteu Roero, Monticello d’Alba, Pocapaglia, Priocca, S. Vittoria d’Alba, S. Stefano Roero, Sommariva Perno, all in the Cuneo district

Subzones: N/A

Permitted Varieties: (1) For red wines: 95% or more Nebbiolo, with the remaining 5% being any black-berried variety permitted to grow in Piemonte; (2) For white wines: 95% or more Arneis, with the remaining 5% being any white-berried variety permitted to grow in Piemonte

Minimum Aging: 20 months (at least 6 of which in wooden barrels) for the base wine; 32 months (at least 6 of which in wooden barrels) for the “Riserva” wine

16. Ruchè di Castagnole Monferrato DOCG

Approved as a DOC in 1987
Upgraded to DOCG in 2010

Permitted Type of Wine: Red wines only

Territory: Areas adjacent to the towns of Castagnole Monferrato, Grana, Montemagno, Portacomaro, Refrancore, Scurzolengo, Viarigi, all in the Asti district

Subzones: N/A

Permitted Varieties: 90% or more Ruchè, with the remaining 10% being Barbera and/or Brachetto

Minimum Aging: No restrictions

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s