Lately… Inside Chanel

Assortment of Chanel items

When I really like something, I tend to get obsessed with it. One of my latest obsessions? The latest CHANEL N°5 commercial – The One That I Want.

It’s a short film once again directed by the super-talented Baz Luhrmaan, starring Gisele Bundchen and Michiel Huisman. Needless to say, Gisele is insanely gorgeous and looks like a goddess even without any make-up on. However, the one who really struck me was Michiel Huisman. Beside being too handsome to be true (have you seen him in season 4 of Game of Thrones? No? You don’t know what you have missed – check out this YouTube clip!), he is very expressive and can really act! Kind of important for an actor, don’t you think? 😜

Coco Chanel perfume bottle

I adore everything about this film: the cast, the clothing (including his light blue suit – of course only someone that beautiful can wear a light blue suit and look divine. Any other man would look ridiculous! Sorry guys!), the soundtrack (the extraordinary adaptation of the Grease song, You’re The One That I Want, so brilliantly interpreted by Lo-Fang), the locations (Fiji, Montauk and New York) and the story of the powerful and independent Chanel N°5 woman that in the end chooses love, including the utterly unrealistic detail that she opens the letter that the love of her life left for her before walking out on her only after the photo shoot. There is no woman on earth that would have waited that long!

Anyway, I read every article and watched every video that I could find about the making of this precious film and, following my little obsession, I stumbled upon Inside Chanel, 12 online chapters that tell the story of Mademoiselle Chanel and her iconic creations in a way that simply blew me away.

Chanel tag

The charming and unbelievably chic voice of Madame Hélène Famin brings you on a wonderful fairy tale journey through the House of Chanel, from the creation of her magical perfume and its hidden symbolism to her revolutionary and one-of-a-kind 1932 Bijoux de Diamantscollection, from the creation of her timeless and iconic jacket inspired by mensware to the meaning behind the recurrent presence of the king of the animal kingdom (it was her zodiac sign and constellation) and the use of five emblematic colors.

The Chanel log

Chapters 5, 6 and 7 focus on Mademoiselle Chanel’s life, from her humble origins and childhood to the encouter of Boy Capel, the love of her life, who inspired her but tragically died in a car accident, from the way she revolutionized the fashion world and became one of the most famous couturière of her times to her stay in Venice and the meeting of friends and lovers whose different styles and cultures influenced her sense of fashion. The chapters go on to tell about her temporary retirement to Switzerland during WWII and her return to fashion when she was in her early seventies, to be first humiliated and then praised as a genius by the whole world for creating the legendary Chanel suit. The series then comes to an end focusing on her latest creations until her death that happened at the Ritz in Paris on a Sunday of 1971, the only day of the week when Mademoiselle Chanel never worked.

I enjoyed these short films immensely. There is no other way to describe it. I truly hope you will love them as much as I did because after all… “Once upon a time, there was Chanel”.

F. Xx

Assortment of Chanel items

This entry was posted in Stuff We Like and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Lately… Inside Chanel

1. Dear Francesca this was such an interesting post. Have you seen “Signé Chanel”? I found the film so fascinating especially about Raymonde Pouieux, who when trying to find a link to her have discovered she has now passed away. This is only a snippet about her but do find out more because I think it will fascinate you too http://www.maisondexceptions.com/en/raymonde-pouzieux-passementiere/ She was the lady that made all the braid trim for the Chanel suits.

No, I haven’t, Maria! I didn’t know anything about it! Thank you so much for pointing that out to me. This will become my new “little obsession”. I’ve got to see it!!!
      Thank you again, my dear Maria!

2. talkavino says:

Francesca,this is a great, great post and a beautiful movie – thank you for sharing. I also have to say that Stefano simply exceeded himself with the pictures in this post. Bravo to both of you.

3. Francesca says:

Thank you, Anatoli! That’s very flattering and always nice receiving a comment like that from a man. You are the living proof that there are tasteful men out there who know how to appreciate beauty and glamor. It’s only difficult to find them! 🙂

4. sabine says:

I didn´t know about the film(s), but now you made me very curious. The life of Coco Chanel though has been fascinating me for years, not only since the movie “Coco avant Chanel” which is about her early years until the tragic death of Boy in a car accident, as you mention, too. Owning a Chanel jacket is most women´s dream, I´d say (and as you see I still dream – but my husband is already informed ;-)), until then, there´s the perfume!
    PS: nice, nice bag!!

Thank you, Sabine! I saw the movie and own the DVD although Tautou is not among my favorite actresses. She is not versatile and very expressive. She has the same face weather she is Coco or Therese or any other female character. A huge limitation for an actress!
      Some men seem not to pay attention but they do, “store” the hint and, when the time is right, surprise their women with what they desire the most. I’m sure your husband belongs to that category. Plus, with your upcoming move to Paris, you are hopefully one step closer to your dream come true!

• sabine says:

If only you were right, Francesca, about the Chanel jacket! But you´re definitely right about my husband. He is indeed the most attentive and generous person I know, so chances might not be all too bad 😉

Sharing your life with a generous partner is a must in my book. One of my best friends always says to me: “if a person is not generous in terms of money, chances are that she or he is not generous in terms of feelings either”! I think it is kind of true!

5. Thats an incredibly beautiful short film, yes Giselle is gorgeous but Michiel, oh super hunk and I love seeing him among others in Game of Thrones. Chanel for me epitomizes luxury and quality and this film is exactly that luxurious and is so well made. Can only dream of one day owning a Chanel bag or article of clothing but for now it’s the makeup which I love and perfume. A wonderful pose Francesca.

6. I do love that Chanel short film but I’m not a he Gisele fan, I think her hubby, Tom Brady is far better looking 😉 Now, Michiel Huisman. he’s another story….”drool”
    I did not know about the other little films you talk about, I’ll have to search them up. Interesting post, Francesca!

I hear you!!! Yes, Tom Brady is very good looking although definitely not my type. Our Michiel … totally another story … to dream about for the years to come! 😉
      Thank you and have a wonderful week! 🙂

7. This post smells very nice, dear Francesca! The music film was very nice too. I have seen couple of movies on Coco’s life and enjoyed both. Beautiful post.

Thank you, Fae! I have seen some movies about Chanel too but, for different reasons, I didn’t love them entirely. I’m still waiting for the one that will bring Coco back to life … at least for two hours.

8. A beautiful, heartfelt post Francesca. Lovely to learn a little more about the amazing Coco Chanel and to watch this charming short film. Chanel No.5 is one of my favourite fragrances as well!

Thank you, Margot! I feel like I never stop learning about “my favorite women”. I think that these films are a beautiful tribute to her and her creativity.

9. Hats off to Baz Luhrmann, this ad, like those that came before, is such a great piece of work. I especially like the underwater scenes. The twinkly jewellery is amazing, I wonder how many diamonds went into the earnings and necklace. Like you I am fascinated by Chanel’s life story and her enduring legacy. Those are lovely images of your Chanel bag. 😉

Yes, hat off to him, even if this film is so much better that the one he made 10 years ago with Nicole Kidman, don’t you think?
      I agree, the jewelry is stunning and that necklace super, super beautiful!
      You have such a great eye, B! Thank you!

What a fantastic post Francesca, I enjoyed learning about Coco – great film clip. We are watchers of Games of Thrones, love the show and characters.

11. Zoale.com says:

I had never seen this before and really enjoyed it! I agree with you Francesca, I can’t imagine not tearing open the envelope immediately. I will say…. I enjoyed the suspense. Thank you for sharing and great post ❤

12. Francesca says:

Right, Antonia? I think I would have “devoured” it! However a touch of unreal is the beauty of fiction! 🙂 Thank you and have a great week!

13. Dave says:

That really is an amazing video.