Winevent – Gambero Rosso’s Tre Bicchieri USA Tour: February 7-15, 2013

Gambero Rosso's Tre Bicchieri USA Tour 2013It appears that a wave of Italian wine is about to wash the shores of the U.S.: beside the Vinitaly International/Slow Wine event that is scheduled for January 28 in New York (for more information and other dates/cities, see our previous Winevent post), Gambero Rosso’s Tre Bicchieri World Tour will make three stops in the U.S., as follows:

• February 7: San Francisco, CA
  • February 12: Chicago, IL
  • February 15: New York, NY

This event is open to media, trade and “Italian wine collectors” (sic) only – links to register for any of the three locations above are available on Gambero Rosso’s Web site. Tre Bicchieri USA 2013 is an event that is not to be missed for those who qualify and are into Italian wine, as the organizers will showcase a selection of only those Italian wines and producers that have been awarded the coveted top “tre bicchieri” (i.e., three glasses) recognition by reputable Gambero Rosso wine guide.

Just to give you an idea,  in an imaginary tour of Italy from North to South, the list of the wines that won the prestigious tre bicchieri includes, limiting ourselves to just one wine per region and trying to avoid the most obvious among the “usual suspects”:

• Northern Italy: Les Crêtes‘ Chardonnay Cuvée Bois (Valle d’Aosta); Cogno‘s Barolo Vigna Elena Riserva (Piemonte); Bio Vio‘s Riviera Ligure di Ponente Vermentino Aimone (Liguria); Berlucchi‘s Franciacorta Brut Cellarius (Lombardia); Ferrari‘s Trento Extra Brut Perlé Nero (Trentino); Muri Gries‘s Alto Adige Lagrein Abtei Muri Riserva (Alto Adige); Masi‘s Amarone della Valpolicella Classico Mazzano (Veneto); Vie di Romans‘s Isonzo Sauvignon Piere (Friuli); Chiarli‘s Lambrusco di Sorbara Del Fondatore (Emilia Romagna);
  • Central Italy: Fonterutoli‘s Mix 36 (Toscana); Oasi degli Angeli‘s Kurni (Marche); Caprai‘s Sagrantino di Montefalco 25 Anni (Umbria); Cataldi Madonna‘s Pecorino (Abruzzo);
  • Southern Italy: Mastroberardino‘s Taurasi Radici (Campania); Basilisco‘s Aglianico del Vulture Basilisco (Basilicata); Planeta‘s Chardonnay (Sicilia); Argiolas‘s Turriga (Sardegna).

For the entire list of awarded wines, check out Gambero Rosso’s Web site.

Much like in the case of Vinitaly International/Slow Wine NYC 2013, we plan on attending the Gambero Rosso event in New York City and reporting on Flora’s Table thereafter.

This entry was posted in Wine, Winevents, WiNews and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Winevent – Gambero Rosso’s Tre Bicchieri USA Tour: February 7-15, 2013

1. vinoinlove says:

What a pity that this event is closed to the public. I’ve been to the Gambero Rosso Event Tre Bicchieri Event in Rome once and a couple of times I went to their European Tour in Germany. It’s so much fun to try all these outstanding wines.
    Do you count as Media? If you do then you really should go there 🙂

• Didn’t Stefano say he’s going at the end of the post? Silly Julian 😉
      Or did you mean how he gets in because it’s media and trade only?

😀
        Frank, I thought the eminently educational and purely journalistic purpose of describing as many of those delicious wines as possible to the billions of thirsty readers that F’sT counts the world over (despite the Herculean efforts of having to try all those wines out and still remain somewhat sober to write about them) would be immediately apparent from my post… 😉

Oh, I’m going Man, I’m going! 🙂
      Jokes aside, it is indeed a pity that they characterized it as a media and trade only event – although I seem to remember that the registration form also includes a third option labeled as “Italian wine collector” which looks sort of… open to interpretation.
      Anyway, I’m definitely looking forward to it!

2. What a pity that the even it just for trade and media. Enjoy these outstanding wines : )
    Which of the two events serves more wine? American VinItaly or the Gambero Rosso USA Tour?

Thank you, Frank!
      Now, that’s a good question to which I do not have an answer yet. So far, I have only been able to retrieve the full exhibitor list for the Slow Wine event, a list of some of the U.S. distributors that will be at the Vinitaly event with the wineries they represent and no exhibitor list for the Gambero Rosso event (although a few Italian producers have emailed me indicating that they will be at the Gambero Rosso event).
      I guess I will let you guys know after the fact.

3. Sounds like a fun event, enjoy yourself Stefano! Being neither media or trade, I will have to wait for your after-event post to see how it was!

Yes, it does sound like a lot of fun, Heather: I am looking forward to it!
      Well, since you blog you should count as media, I guess 🙂 Besides, the registration form actually lists a third category which they define as “Italian wine collectors” (I have updated my post to reflect that): perhaps you fall into that category too… 🙂
      Thanks for commenting!

4. alisitaliankitchen says:

Francesca! You are going to just laugh! I always thought you were married to Stephen’ who has ‘My French Heaven’ and has a bed and breakfast in St Emillion! I thought you had your buz in Rome and he had his bed and breakfast in France! Going back and forth! Too funny! I got the pieces together! Your photos look great but it is: Stephano!! The photographer!

5. Pingback: Wednesday’s Meritage – Wine Quiz Answer, Plonk in the Headlines, Gambero Rosso and more « Talk-A-Vino

6. cakewhiz says:

i don’t drink wine but i have friends who LOVE it. they would have loved this event if only it was open to the public…hehe

7. Looks like a great event and can’t wait for you to tell us all about it and your favorite picks of wine.

8. Pingback: Gambero Rosso’s Tre Bicchieri NYC 2013: The Top of the Crop | Flora's Table